Going Your Own Way

The other day I said to John that our group of friends are like Fleetwood Mac... all the breakups and relationships between us.
It used to be quite fun, and to be honest, gave us all something to talk about, but now I'm just finding it annoying.
Looking at a picture of some of us at Mayhem from last year (where we've all got loveguns, it's a good photo), it made me sad that I hardly speak to at least half of them anymore. Some went to uni, some of us seriously fell out and the others just kind of drifted apart.
I know that it's common for people this age to get close to people then drift away again, but I wish it wasn't the case because I really did like this lot. I feel like it doesn't matter what or who you try and hold on to, inevitably the time will come where you just don't fit together anymore, kind of like a breakup. Some situation - arguments, rumours, falling in love - makes things awkward and you have to take a step back.
You can't be friends with someone if someone else in the group doesn't like them. You can't be friends with either half of a couple, if they split up and don't talk to eachother. You can't be friends with a boy if you're a girl, and vice versa, especially if they're going out with someone else. You can't have an opinion on anyone in the group, it will just get back to them. You hang around too much, you're clingy. You let people have their space, you're shoved out. You try not to get involved with other people's arguments, you're boring. You TRY and get involved for the sake of helping, you get told to fuck off.
In fact, see my previous post - that's where I'm going with this.

Are all friends and circles like this? Why do I still feel like I'm at school?!

Comments

  1. 'You can't be friends with someone if someone else in the group doesn't like them. You can't be friends with either half of a couple, if they split up and don't talk to eachother. You can't be friends with a boy if you're a girl, and vice versa, especially if they're going out with someone else. You can't have an opinion on anyone in the group, it will just get back to them. You hang around too much, you're clingy. You let people have their space, you're shoved out. You try not to get involved with other people's arguments, you're boring. You TRY and get involved for the sake of helping, you get told to fuck off.'

    That sounds terrible. :S Surely a friend who condemns you for befriending someone they aren't a fan of isn't worth having around? Unless said person did something really terrible.. I'm not sure why I felt the urge to comment this.. I guess it just doesn't make sense to me! Interesting blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Kerri you're absolutely right. It's why I'm so frustrated! God knows why people think it's ok to tell you who to be friends with, but sadly they do and probably always will. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts