I might lose my mind for a while, but I'll be fine.

Have you heard, there's this thing that heals, and it's called time?

Do you ever get this achey, heavy feeling in your chest?
I get it a lot. Things that tend to bring it more than most are nostalgia, anxiety and heartbreak (obviously).

The first - nostalgia - you can't help. I get it when listening to songs that remind me of growing up. Significant events, like birthdays, leaving school, your first kiss, holidays, starting a new job, meeting new friends, etc., always have a song attached to the memory; usually whatever's in the charts at the time, whether you mean for it to stick in your memory bank or not. Don't Look Back In Anger by Oasis reminds me of primary school. Electric Feel by MGMT reminds me of meeting John. That's how you get 'your' song. Listening to those songs again can make you feel all sorts of different things and remind you of how things were at that period in your life. That's why I get chest ache - it reminds me that I was happy then, happier than I am now. Although; you never realise quite how happy you are until you see it in hindsight.
I thought 2008 was the worst year of my life, until 2009. Looking back, it was brilliant. I feel the same about 2010 now. I'll feel the same about 2011 next year, hopefully.


A new year always brings out the creative side I wish I had in me.
A side that wants to learn to play Maple Leaf Rag on piano, make new curtains from my room and go to Jive lessons.

None of those things happen because I just sit and daydream about doing it, instead of actually doing anything. I always kid myself that I don't have the time to do it, when what I really mean is... I sit on my arse and think about really scary, weird things for hours. Then I fall asleep at 4am, and wake up at midday, cursing myself for not hearing my alarm go off at 10. That's why I never have time. I spend all my time getting ready to go to work.

So my question is - how do you turn off your brain and get the motivation to make something of your life? So, instead of regretting never doing all the things you wanted to do, you can reminisce and get the chest ache because you miss doing the things you actually wanted to do. And when you're 80, not next year.

I'm going on the exercise bike... right now.

Comments

Popular Posts